Sunday, March 05, 2006

Old Age

It is amazing how your perspective on old age changes as you age. At one point in my life I honestly thought that anyone who was over 40 was getting on up there; someone at 50 was over the hill; and at 60 you were definitely old. I saw those in their 70s and 80s as really, really old.

They say that 60 is the new 40 and the 80 is the new 60. I choose to believe that. Why not? At 59 I really don’t feel old. Sure, some work days are long and babysitting the grandchildren leaves me a bit tired. But I don’t think I feel “old” the way my mother and my grandmother felt “old.” My mother died at 69 and her mother at 67. Here I am at 59 and going strong!

They had various aches and pains. I just have colds, flu and an occasional infection. My joints don’t ache and I still have all my teeth. My hair has turned grey and I like it OK that way. My face looks a bit saggy in the mirror, but it isn’t a mass of wrinkles. I am overweight, but then I have been for the last 50 years, so what else is new?

But from what I read, time is catching up with me. My bad habits (like enjoying food and not enjoying exercise) will soon take their toll. I imagine I am not too different from many of my babyboomer colleagues. We are in denial about encroaching “old age.” If we don’t give in to it, maybe it won’t happen! Yeah, right!

Life keeps going by, day after long-day. I keep working from 8 in the morning until 9 most nights. My body isn’t that active, but my mind certainly is working overtime. They say if you keep your mind agile you will keep your mind longer. If that is the truth, mine should be in good shape long after my body has given out.

Despite my protests against aging, I find myself reading the obituaries daily. Often I see someone I know – a friend or an acquaintance. Sometimes the deceased is younger than me. Most often the cause of death is cancer or heart disease. I take a deep breath and thank God I am still alive.

I wish I could look at each day as a gift; I wish I could do only those things that were good for me; and I wish I didn’t have to face the fact dying is inevitable. I saw an article in the paper the other day that said, “Test predicts odds of dying if you are over 50.” I don’t need a test – the odds are 100%. But in the meantime, let’s all us boomers enjoy life. There are no second chances!




I

No comments: